Retailers make use of comprehensive POS or Point of Sale systems to process transactions, track sales history, and even track inventory. Upon correct implementation, the POS systems are capable of helping retailers increase revenue, drive maximum customer loyalty, and achieve dedicated business goals.
A POS system serves to be a crucial element of running any store successfully. There are several POS solutions for retailers to choose from. They are all aimed at bringing forth simplicity and ample functionality to the table in different ways. We have gathered the best retail POS systems for your business.
Best Retail POS Systems for Small Businesses
From online sales to contactless payments, POS or Point of Sale systems aim at improving the overall customer experiences while making it simpler for business owners to track sales, employee performance, and their entire inventory. At the same time, POS solutions are also helpful in supporting omnichannel experiences, which ensure seamless transactions between phone, online, and in-store experiences.
As a matter of fact, it is estimated that around 41 percent of current retailers at the time of this writing are considering replacing or upgrading the current POS. At the same time, around 59 percent of retailers prioritize omnichannel experiences with the help of existing POS solutions.
With a wide range of POS solutions available in the market currently, choosing the best one for your small business can be overwhelming. We have analyzed POS systems on the overall ease of use, functionalities offered, software & hardware options, pricing packages, and features.
Introduced in 2009, Square and its POS systems and mobile devices are utilized by thousands of small businesses around the world. Diners, retail shops, and other small businesses leverage the functionalities offered by Square. The overall versatility of the platform in combination with multiple pricing options have made Square one of the best POS systems for retail businesses.
Square is available with three dedicated pricing plans -all of them offering access to integrated payments. You are expected to pay a credit card processing fees of 2.9 percent along with $0.30 per transaction on its Free plan. The Professional plan of the provider also comes forth with the same pricing features while costing an additional amount of $12 for add-on features. The Performance Plan of the POS provider will cost an additional amount of $26 for add-on features while charging the same fees as that of the Professional plan. The Premium plan of Square will cost $72 per month along with processing fees of 2.6 percent along with $0.30.
For a number of small businesses, you should beware that the Square register costs $799. Still, the company is capable of offering access to iPads and mobile-based Square readers that help businesses in customizing the overall setup. Some of the common features to look out for with Square pricing plans are:
- Barcode scanning
- Sales reports
- Viewing out-of-stock and low inventory
- Electronic gift card and invoicing options
- Capabilities for Instagram selling
- Timecard reporting
- Time tracking
For almost 15 years, eHopper has been providing a cost-effective alternative to expensive retail POS software solutions. The low-cost pricing plans of the POS provider offer entrepreneurs the opportunity to access high-end inventory and customer management tools. Therefore, it is a clear winner in the category of best value retail POS software solutions.
The POS system by eHopper comes forth with four dedicated pricing plans. All the pricing plans include features of integrated credit card processing. Currently, the merchant fees get passed down to customers through some surcharge. With all available versions, you will get access to features including:
- Tip management
- Email or print receipts
- Inventory management
- Customer management
- Reporting options
Each of the pricing plan also offers access to additional features. These costs only cover a single POS system. The four pricing plans by the POS software provider are:
- Essential: The free pricing plan will help you in easily adjusting inventory, managing customer accounts, or creating barcode labels for the products.
- Freedom: Costing around $29.99 every month, you will get access to employee time tracking features along with QuickBooks integration and alerts for low stock in the inventory.
- Restaurant: It is available for $39.99 per month. You can get access to advanced features for restaurant management like floor planning services, table management, menu building, and other standard POS specifications.
- OmniChannel: The standard cost of this plan is $49.99 every month. The plan is available with advanced features like e-commerce, loyalty, and Meta sales.
With eHopper, it is possible to make use of the existing hardware on devices like Windows PCs, iOS, Poynt terminals, and Android. Some of the additional hardware options offered by eHopper are:
- Credit card terminals
- Thermal printers
- Cash drawers
- Stands & accessories
Introduced in 2010, Vend serves to be a reliable service provider of POS solutions that are compatible and easy to use with several types of equipment. The POS provider delivers access to advanced analytics and inventory management features. Therefore, it can be regarded as one of the best POS system for retail businesses.
Vend is available with three dedicated pricing plans responsible for covering one location and one register. However, you can also go ahead with paying for additional locations and registers. All pricing plans or versions offer features that are easy to use while supporting retail operations, including:
- Total cash management
- Real-time inventory management
- Customizable receipts for print or receipt
- Unlimited employees and products
- Inventory control levels
- A mobile-based dashboard
- Easy-to-use personalized reports
All the three pricing plans by Vend offer access to features like integrated payments, API access, 24/7 support, and POS solutions. The pricing plans are:
- Lean: Available for $69 every month on annual payments and $89 for month-to-month payments, the version has all standard features.
- Standard: It is available for $119 every month on annual payments and $149 for month-to-month payments. The package features e-commerce and accounting features.
- Advanced: The cost of this package is $199 every month on annual payments and $269 for month-to-month payments. The package is available with additional features like advanced reporting, loyalty, and so more.
You get the option to choose from multiple hardware options or even using the existing equipment. Vend offers access to bundles. Moreover, you can also use the existing Windows or Mac systems. The POS software for retail is capable of integrating with almost all credit card processing companies, including:
- QuickBooks Online
The business has been in operation since 2004. Shopify has been successful in offering access to online shopping services to e-commerce business owners. These services make it simpler for business owners while delivering a pleasant online customer experience. Some of the robust features of the POS software have made it one of the best retail POS software systems.
To make use of the Shopify POS system, business owners are expected to select a dedicated plan initially. The pricing programs span the entire e-commerce blog and website along with a wide range of additional features. The pricing plans range from $29 to $299 every month. The pricing plan for Shopify that you choose will determine the respective credit card processing fees. The plans are:
- Basic: The in-person rate is 2.7 percent along with the online rate of 2.9 percent and $0.30.
- Shopify: The in-person rate is 2.5 percent along with the online rate of 2.6 percent and $0.30.
- Advanced: The in-person rate is 2.4 percent along with the online rate of 2.4 percent and $0.30.
All the plans of Shopify POS software systems are available with the following features:
- QR or Quick Response codes
- Customer profiles
- Product and order management
- Discount codes and custom discounts
- Integrated credit card processing
When you select the option of Pro version of the POS software solution -available for $89 every month for every location, you can leverage the benefits of additional features like:
- Omnichannel selling features
- Smart inventory management
- In-store analytics
- Unlimited registers
This list of Retail POS systems will help to serve different purposes for different businesses. If you are searching for the best system, consult with each individual company and see which fits your needs before deciding. This will help to ensure that your money is well spent and helps to grow your business in the long run.